Thursday, July 9, 2009

Overhaul your Resume and Coverletter

While a student at Howard University in Washington, DC--I started my first business. I would write resumes, cover letters, type research and term papers. In fact, my now husband, was one of my first customers. Today, naturally, I see alot of resumes and cover letters, with there being such a high competition in the job market, I'm always surprised when I see bad ones.

A few tips:
1) Remember that your resume is your first chance to sell yourself to the employer. What do you want them to know about you? What professional attributes do you bring to an organization? And, does your resume and cover letter reflect these attributes.
2) Content isn't enough, your resume MUST look professional. Get rid of the weird fonts and margin sizes. Either pay to have your resume professionally typeset, or have a friend that is really good in word, layout your resume and cover letter.
3) Eliminate Designer emails off of your resume! Keep email addresses professional and simple like: janesmith123@gmail.com or jane.smith@yahoo.com. When I see email addresses, littlemama@gmail.com and peanutbutter@aol.com, I am immediately turned off. I think, if this person cant present themselves professionally on paper, what will they be like as an employee.
4) Correct grammatical errors and typo's. Your spelling must be perfect!
5) Give some thought to what you would like to accomplish in your next job opportunity, then rewrite your objective statement.
6) Get feedback! Ask your friends and family to look at your resume and give you honest feedback. What is their first impression?
7) Your resume is a work in process, re-read and edit it every few months.

No comments: