Saturday, September 12, 2009

Internet Marketing for Seniors

According to AARP, seniors are the largest growing segment of internet users.


I was recently back East visiting my family and quickly realized that my more senior relatives where online.

A 72 year aunt had a brand new desktop/flat screen monitor/printer set up, which was probably better than mine. She bought it at Walmart, on a whim while there to purchase some shoes. I taught her how to research topics that she was interested in on Google.

My 62 year old mother, has always been computer savvy, but just got a webcam so that she and my father can see and talk to my son. She wants me to set up her facebook webpage and wants to 'tweet', although I'm certain she doesn't really know what either of these are.

My Great Aunt, who is 81, just purchased a brand new laptop. She had never touched a computer before this point. I set up the laptop for her and had to give her immediate homework....learn how to move and control your mouse! The next day she called me to tell me that she has been practicing using her mouse and she was ready for the internet so that she can pay her bills online, she probably doesn't have more than 2 bills to pay online, but I was tickled none the less.

The point...savvy business owners should take note, seniors are online, they have facebook pages (and they want to tweet!) so we should all be tweaking our marketing plans to attract their business.

No comments: